Please, leave this field blank:
On the Road About New Zealand Booking with us Choose your Campervan

Are there sandflies in NZ?

Unfortunately: Yes, particularly in wet areas such as Fiordland. Not to worry, we have an initial supply of insect repellent and flyscreens on all opening windows of your campervan.

Tourism Radio

You love it, or you hate it. Anyway, we have Tourism Radio installed as extra source of information. Using GPS coordinates it gives a signal when there is a point of interest in the vicinity.

How and where do I dump my toilet and waste water?

During your vehicle familiarization at pick up we will give you a 'dry run' how to empty waste water and toilet cassette.
Dump stations in New ZealandSome town have dump stations (Most (paid) campgrounds have dumping facilities. The provided touring atlas has all dump places listed on the map.
You can also find them on our online camping ground map

Do you have (AA) roadside assistance should I have a breakdown or accident?

No worries, help is on its way: We have registered all our Motorhomes with the Automobile Association (AA) for 24-hour roadside assistance. This gives you peace of mind in the odd case you have a breakdown. All Mechanical breakdowns are covered under AA relevant Roadside Assistance program and include the following: ✓ Engine faults ✓ Electrical Faults ✓ Cooling system ✓ Vehicle recovery The following Non-Mechanical 'breakdowns' are subject to the relevant call out fees charged by the AA; for example; X Out of fuel / incorrect fuelling of the vehicle. X Flat Tyre X Keys being lost, broken or locked inside the vehicle. X Flat batteries. X A breakdown as a result of damage caused in an accident, including salvage The Value Pack insurance will cover you for: ✓ Windscreens and Tyres

Do we need to book the Ferry to cross Cook Strait in advance?

The ferries operate all year round but there are fewer sailings during the winter. If you are travelling in peak season (between December and February), you will definitely need to book your ferry crossing in advance Outside these periods you can usually make a reservation one day in advance or on the spot.

Are there any roads we are not allowed to travel on?

If you have not driven any gravel road, you have not seen New Zealand! SO, you are allowed on all named roads and DOC campsite access roads.
You are not allowed to travel on a beach, through a river or salt water, or on a road that is in such poor condition that it damages the vehicle including: Fire trails, beaches, sand, tracks, fields or paddocks, Ninety Mile Beach (Northland), Ball Hutt Road (Mt Cook), Skippers Road (Queenstown)

Should I pre-book camping, DOC sites?

Most camping grounds in New Zealand do not require reservations except for the two weeks after Christmas, Public Holiday weekends and the Easter holidays.
When you are going for one of the 'Great Walks' it does pay to book the (Department of Conservation) sites as they usually have limited availability.
You can always use the on board cell phone to call ahead and if you want to. You can find all approved camping sites, including DOC-sites and their telephone numbers on our camping location map

How long will the gas bottle last?

Gas is used for cooking and the refrigerator in both the Explorer and Seeker Motorhomes. Heating, hot water only in the Seeker (Explorer has diesel heater)
The 9Kg gas bottle should provide up to three, four weeks of gas; subject to use. In general you only need to fill the bottle at the end of your holiday.
You can swap or top up the gas bottle at most petrol stations.
2019 Bay of Islands Campervan Hire. Developed and maintained by Techrish

Please, leave this field blank: